USB Common Access Card Reader (Non-TAA), Smart Card Reader for CAC, PIV and Secure Access / Mfr. No.: Gsr212
CAC Reader / Smart Card Reader
IOGEAR's USB Common Access Card Reader is the perfect solution for most civilians as well as non-military government workers who need everyday secure access. Common Access Card (CAC), or Smart Card readers are often used as a communications medium between the EMV smart card and a host (e.g. a computer, a point-of-sale terminal, network login, etc.) in secure systems such as those used by government, banking and health care.
The GSR212 requires the card to be inserted directly into the reader where electrical contacts retrieve the data stored in the card’s chipset. IOGEAR’s physical contact readers are less prone to misalignment, which helps to eliminate the possibility of being misread.
What is a Smart Card or Common Access Card?
Often referred to as a Smart Card, the Common Access Card (or CAC) is the next generation in secure identification technology. Having the same shape as a credit card, every Smart Card features an embedded data chip allowing the user's identification to be electronically verified when accessing secured systems. In addition to the embedded chip, Smart Cards are usually programmed with a PIN to ensure security for both the card holder and the system being accessed. Unlike the magnetic strips found on traditional credit cards, the EMV cards uses multiple layers of security. This chip and pin technology provides higher security by storing more encrypted data, avoiding data breach. IOGEAR's USB Common Access Card Reader (Non-TAA) uses a contact system where the card must be inserted directly into the card reader; this type of reader is less prone to misalignment and eliminates the possibility of being misread. When it comes to secure access, the Common Access Card (or Smart Card) is an evolutionary step in convenience and security.
Having reached tremendous adoption rates outside of the U.S., Smart Cards are now rapidly growing in this country to combat credit card fraud, while also providing next generation security and user friendly identification. The federal government issues Common Access Cards programmed with a Personal Identification Verification (PIV) chip containing the data necessary for the cardholder to be properly identified and granted access to secure federal facilities and information systems. Smart Cards have been in use by the federal government in accordance with Homeland Security Presidential Directive 12 (HSPD-12) since 2006, and now the technology is rapidly spreading to banking, healthcare and other areas requiring identity verification and secured access.
- Support EMV Level 1 specification
- Designed for use with CAC middleware (not included)
- Supports PC Smart Card industry standard - PC/SC version 1.0/2.0
- ISO7816 implementation - Class A, B, and C (5V / 3V / 1.8V) Card
- Support T0, T1 protocol
- EMV 4.1 compliant
- Supports popular memory cards including: SLE 4404, 4418, 4428, 4442, 4443, and I2C
- Support short APDU and extended APDU
- Compatible with Microsoft USB-CCID driver
- Compliant with USB CCID Transport Specification Rev 1.1
- Low power consumption
- Display function: LED display to show system operation and power status
- Dual Multi-protocol Smart Card Interface: Main Card & Auxiliary Card
- Compliant with ISO 7816, EMV2000, GIE-CB and WHQL Standards.
- Asynchronous Protocol T=0 & T=1, with Direct and Inverse Modes.
- Supports CPU-based cards with ISO 7816 T=0 and T=1protocol and 2 and 3 wire Memory Cards or 12C interface synchronous card
- FIPS-201 Compliant
- Suitable for applications in government, healthcare, banking, and secure network login
- Windows® 10, Windows® 8.1, Windows® 8, Windows® 7, Windows Vista® , Windows XP®
- Mac OS X 10.4+ (embedded smart card services)*
- Linux Redhat 9, Ubuntu 8.04, Fedora Core 9+
- USB 2.0 or 1.1
*Mac OS X 10.9+ needs to download Java
|Manufacturer Part Number||GSR212|
|Manufacturer Website Address||http://www.iogear.com|
|Product Name||GSR212 Smart Card Reader|
|Product Type||Smart Card Reader|
Additional Product Specifications
|Full Product Specifications||Click to view|
|Host Interface||USB 2.0|
|Weight (Approximate)||1.76 oz|
|Limited Warranty||3 Year|