Apple Airport Extreme Base Station / Mfr. No.: Me918ll/A
Expand your network at home or in the office with Apple’s innovative AirPort Extreme Base Station and Wireless Router. This versatile device features next-generation 802.11ac Wi-Fi and a powerful beam-forming antenna array, which provides greater performance and extended range for your Wi-Fi devices. Use your iOS device or Mac to set up and manage a Wi-Fi network, and then effortlessly share a hard drive or printer with all the users on that network. Sophisticated and sleek, this attractive AirPort Extreme Base Station and Wireless Router complements your desk without clutter or unsightly wires.
FASTER AND BETTER THAN EVER
The Airport Extreme’s three-stream 802.11ac technology takes Wi-Fi speeds up and over the top. Reach data rates of up to 1.3 Gbps1, triple the previous 802.11n standard. This means up to three times faster Wi-Fi.
You also get double the channel bandwidth with 80MHz-wide channels, enabling more room for more data to flow faster than ever. Connect with other 802.11a/b/g/n devices to maximize speed and performance. What you do with all that extra speed is up to you.
SIMULTANEOUS DUAL-BAND SUPPORT.
With 802.11ac technology comes the intelligent, powerful beamforming antenna array. Most base station antennas emit an equal and constant Wi-Fi signal in all directions. But the beamforming antenna array is smarter. It knows where an 802.11ac device is on the network. Then AirPort Extreme targets its signal to that device, so your Wi-Fi signal is stronger, clearer, and faster.
AirPort Extreme features simultaneous dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi. The beam-forming antenna array emits at both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies at the same time. Whichever band your wireless devices use, they'll automatically connect to the best available band for the fastest possible performance.
SMALL FOOTPRINT LEAVES MORE DESK SPACE
For the all-new design of AirPort Extreme, Apple’s approach centered around performance. Apple created a higher platform for dispersing the signal by making it taller with the antenna on top. There are also now six antennas for maximum performace: three for the 2.4GHz band and three for the 5GHz band. Together with 802.11ac wireless technology, they let you connect faster, farther, and with more power than ever before. The bar for Wi-Fi base stations has been raised in every possible way.
The sleek vertical design improves Wi-Fi performance and saves you valuable desk space. At less than 4 inches square, the footprint of AirPort Extreme is 64% smaller than its predecessor. Even the power supply is built in, which means AirPort Extreme takes up no more space than it should, leaving your workspace efficient and clutter-free.
With AirPort Extreme, getting your new Wi-Fi network up and running takes less time - and less effort - than making a cup of coffee. That's because a setup assistant is built into iOS and into AirPort Utility for OS X. As soon as you plug in your AirPort Extreme and connect it to your DSL or cable modem, you can follow the simple instructions on your Mac or iOS device. There are no complicated steps to follow and no obscure terminology to learn. The setup assistant does all the work, so you don't have to.
MICRO-MANAGE YOUR WI-FI NETWORK
Once your network is set up, AirPort Utility for iOS and OS X lets you manage and monitor it from your iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, or Mac. Your AirPort Extreme - along with other AirPort base stations you have connected - appears graphically onscreen, so you can see your settings at a glance, make changes, apply updates, and more.
SIMPLE AND SECURE FILE SHARING
AirPort Extreme can turn your external USB hard drive into a secure drive you can share across your Wi-Fi network and access securely over the Internet. All the documents, videos, photos, and other files instantly become available to anyone on the network, Mac and PC users alike. It's perfect for file sharing, collaborative projects, and more.
The USB 2 port in AirPort Extreme is also great for sharing a printer across your wireless network. Just plug it in and everyone on your network can take advantage of one centrally available printer. Wirelessly, of course. (Note: Wireless printing over USB requires a compatible printer and OS X v10.2.7 or later, Windows XP (SP3), Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7 (SP1), or Windows 8.)
INTERNET SAFETY AND SECURITY
AirPort Extreme includes a built-in firewall that creates a barrier between your network and the Internet, protecting your data from malicious attacks. When you set up AirPort Extreme, the firewall is automatically turned on, so you don't have to do a thing. Except enjoy the web with peace of mind.
WI-FI WELCOME MAT
With the guest networking feature, you can set up a separate Wi-Fi network just for guests. Use a different password or no password at all. A guest network allows access only to the Internet, so your primary network - including any external hard drive, printer, or other LAN-attached device - remains secure.
Mac. PC. iPhone. iPad. Apple TV. Really, any Wi-Fi-enabled device you have will work with AirPort Extreme. That's because it's compatible with devices using the 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, and 802.11ac specifications.
AirPort Extreme includes three Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports for fast wired connectivity with a desktop computer, network drive, DVR, or other device.
CALL THE MAC EXPERTS
The world's friendliest Mac Experts await your call. They'll take as much time as you need and answer all the questions you have to help you discover the best solution for your specific needs. From new or used computers to peripherals to accessories, the PowerMax Mac Experts are here to help. Call today! 888-769-7629.
Size and Weight
- Dimensions: 3.85 inches (98 mm) by 3.85 inches (98 mm) by 6.6 inches (168 mm)
- Weight: 2.08 pounds (945 grams) 1
- IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 2
- Six-element beamforming antenna array
- Simultaneous dual-band 2.4GHz and 5GHz
- Radio output power: 32.5 dBm maximum (varies by country)
- Channels 1-11, 36-48, and 149-165 approved for use in the United States and Canada
- Channels 1-13, 36-64, and 100-140 approved for use in Europe and Japan
- Channels 1-13, 36-64, and 149-165 approved for use in Australia, Hong Kong, and New Zealand
- Interoperable with 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, and 802.11ac-enabled Mac computers, iOS devices, Apple TV, Windows-based PCs, and other Wi-Fi devices
- NAT, DHCP, PPPoE, VPN Passthrough (IPSec, PPTP, and L2TP), DNS Proxy, IPv6 (6to4 and manual tunnels)
- Wi-Fi Protected Access™ (WPA/WPA2) 3
- WPA/WPA2 Enterprise3
- MAC address filtering
- NAT firewall
- 802.1X, PEAP, LEAP, TTLS, TLS, FAST
- Time-based access control
Software and Documentation
- Printed documentation included
- AirPort Utility for Mac available for free download
- AirPort Utility for iOS available for free download
- Bonjour for Windows available for free download
- Simultaneous dual-band 802.11ac wireless
- Gigabit Ethernet WAN port for connecting a DSL modem, cable modem, or Ethernet network
- USB 2 port for connecting a USB printer or hard drive
- Three Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports for connecting a computer, Ethernet hub, or networked printer
- Built-in power supply
Number of Users
Electrical and Environmental Requirements
- 100-240V AC, 50-60Hz; input current: 0.2 amp
- Operating temperature: 32 deg. to 95 deg. F (0 deg. to 35 deg. C)
- Storage temperature: -13 deg. to 140 deg. F (-25 deg. to 60 deg. C)
- Relative humidity (operating): 20 pct. to 80 pct., noncondensing
- Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet
- Maximum storage altitude: 15,000 feet
- FCC Part 15 Class B, Canada RSS-210, EN 300-328, EN 301-489, EN 301 893, ARIB STD-T66, RCR STD-T33, AS/NZS 4268: 2003, UL 60950, CSA-C22.2 No. 60950, GB 4943.1-2011
Setup and Administration
- iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 5 or later and AirPort Utility 1.3
- Mac with OS X Lion v10.7.5 or later and AirPort Utility 6.3
Wireless Device Access
- Any Wi-Fi-enabled device that uses the 802.11a/b/g/n/ac specification
Shared Printing with a USB Printer
- USB printer
- Mac with OS X v10.2.7 or later
- PC with Windows XP (SP3), Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7 (SP1), or Windows 8
Shared USB Hard Drive
- Mac with OS X v10.4.8 or later
- PC with Windows XP (SP3), Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7 (SP1), or Windows 8
1. Weight varies by configuration and manufacturing process.
2. Based on an IEEE 802.11ac draft specification.
3. Support for Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA/WPA2) requires OS X v10.3 or later or Windows XP with SP2 or later.
Wireless Internet access requires a wireless-enabled computer or device, a base station or other access point, and Internet access (fees may apply).