What is HomeKit?
HomeKit is software offered by Apple that allows you to control functions within your home – lights, locks, music, thermostats and more. By using the Home app on your iPhone, you can control functions within your home automatically without having to access a different app for every device. Just look for the “HomeKit compatible” label for products that work with HomeKit.
How do I set up HomeKit?
To configure your HomeKit compatible accessories, you need the following:
- An iPhone with iOS 10.3 or above.
- An Apple TV (3rd gen)* or Apple TV (4th gen) with tvOS 10.0 or later, or…
- An iPad with iOS 10.3 or later. These will be the home hubs that will run your devices. These hubs must remain in your home to control your devices.
*Apple TV (3rd generation) doesn’t support remote access to HomeKit-enabled cameras.
Set up your home hub – Remember, the device you set up as a home hub must remain in your home, connected to your home Wi-Fi network, and powered on.
Apple TV home hub:
- On your iOS device or Mac, set up two-factor authentication for your Apple ID. Then go to iCloud and make sure that you have iCloud Keychain turned on.
- On your Apple TV, go to Settings > Accounts and make sure that you’re signed in to iCloud with the same Apple ID as your iOS device.
- After you sign in to iCloud, your Apple TV automatically sets itself up as a home hub. To check the status of your home hub, go to Settings > Accounts > iCloud and look under HomeKit to see if your home hub is connected.
- Want to check the status of your home hub in the Home app on your iOS device? Open the Home app and tap in the upper-left corner. Then look under Home Hubs to see if your home hub is connected.
Set up iPad as a home hub:
- If you’re using iOS 10.3 or later, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud. If you’re using iOS 10.2 or earlier, go to Settings > iCloud.
- Sign in with your Apple ID.
- Check that iCloud Keychain and Home are both turned on.
- Go to Settings > Home and turn on Use this iPad as a Home Hub.
And there you have it. Now your iPhone is ready to control any HomeKit compatible items in your network. Have fun with your smart home!